Blog Archive

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Cisco-Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch

Think of the EtherFastCable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch as a kind of splitter for your Internet connection. Just connect your DSL or Cable Modem to the Router, and all the computers in your household can share the Internet -- all at the same time. The built-in 4-port switch lets you attach four local PCs directly, or daisy-chain out to more hubs and switches as your network grows. Once your computers are connected to the Internet through the Router, they can communicate with each other too, sharing resources and files. All your computers can print on a shared printer connected anywhere in the house. And you can share all kinds of files between computers -music, digital pictures, and other documents. Keep all your digital music on one computer, and listen to it anywhere in the house. Organize all of your familys digital pictures in one place, to simplify finding the ones you want, and ease backup to CD-R. Play head-to-head computer games within the household, or against Internet opponents. Utilize extra free space on one computer when anothers hard drive starts to fill up.

Amazon Sales Rank: #2780 in Consumer Electronics Brand: Cisco Model: BEFSR41 Released on: 2010-10-12 Platforms: Windows NT, Mac, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT 4, Windows NT 5, PowerMac, Windows Me, Windows XP, Windows 2000 Server, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9 and below, Windows Format: CD Original language: English Number of items: 1 Dimensions: 2.75" h x 9.75" w x 11.25" l, 1.50 pounds CPU: PowerPC G4 2.1 GHz Memory: 2000MB SDRAM Hard Disk: 1GB Processors: 1 Weight - 11.04 oz. Warranty - 1 year Standards - IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u Creates a fire wall to protect your PCs from outside intruders Connects all of your PCs to the Internet with only one purchased IP address Connects to a broadband modem or to an Ethernet backbone Equipped with a 4-port 10/100 switch

The Linksys EtherFast cable/DSL router connects multiple PCs to a high-speed broadband Internet connection or to an Ethernet backbone. Configurable as a DHCP server, the EtherFast router acts as the only externally recognized Internet device on your local area network (LAN). The router can also be configured to block internal users' access to the Internet. A typical router relies on a hub or a switch to share its Internet connection, but the Linksys EtherFast router channels this connection through the full-duplex speed of its built-in EtherFast 10/100 four-port switch. This combination of router and switch technology eliminates the need to buy an additional hub or switch and serves your network as a completely dedicated, full-duplex backbone. Now your entire network can enjoy broadband Internet connections supported by its switched backbone. This unit requires an external cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet RJ-45 interface. This product comes with a one-year warranty. Note: All Linksys routers now include a special edition of Norton Internet Security! Claim your free CD-ROM by calling (800) 814-0180, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Pacific, seven days a week.

The best feedback from customers 487 of 513 people found this review helpful. My PC and my Mac now share high-speed Internet! By Jim K PC We have a floor that is our core group and a Mac down in the TV room. I wanted to share both our broadband internet service. I looked at several routers, both wired and wireless. It came down to the Linksys (wired version) and SMC Barricade Wireless. I went back to Linksys because a friend owns one and raves about it. Besides the fact that it looks good, almost took me longer to get it out of the box, it was to configure it. No kidding! With the help of a fast start, I was up and running in less than ten minutes. To connect the cables, restart the computer, log on to the Linksys website to configure the router, restart the computer again, and it is good for go.I was not as optimistic about setting up my Power Mac G3. However, I was pleasantly surprised and it took me five minutes before I did a little surfing at high speed on this machine and luckily, my Mac has an Ethernet port so that it only a matter Attach the CAT-5 cable was there to The Linksys and setting the Control TCP / IP Ethernet and DHCP options. I saved my configuration, I open my browser, and I spent the next two hours of high-speed surfing without problems.I have no problem, we recommend Linksys, especially for simple installation on a PC and a Mac network. While I have a wireless setup would have preferred, they received mixed reviews and was concerned about Mac compatibility. After I lead, how well my Mac to the Linksys, I'm ready, wired our own households! 216 of 226 people found this review helpful. Easy to install. Easy to use. By A Customer I was worried this product would be difficult to install, configure and use. This seems silly since I'm an engineer working in a dotcom, the construction of a large Internet network engineers to stay even with hardware that can not go to work. Also, being net savvy, I have my network hardware to work my way and not some configuration considered "good" for the marketing monkeys. All fears quickly faded, however, that the router was running with my net 15 minutes after opening the box. Ease of use is important because often the technical support for products of distrust of the networks. Through no fault of Linksys, but the years with monkeys inept customer service, prepared just to keep the phones ruined me. If you can not get a product to work in the short term when the products are equivalent, fast refund, return and try again. Fortunately, I did not. Linksys jumped all without effort.Ease precipitates beyond use of the facility in the packaging and web based configuration. The package comes with a quick start. Smart. Impatient with more enthusiasm male brain does not want to read manuals, even short The quick start is all you need to go online soon. If you need advanced features like port forwarding, DMZ hosting, or PPP over Ethernet, the manual is friendly and configuration screens are nice. Five minutes after surfing the net, I reconfigured my PC to have a static IP address (DHCP address instead of generated, given to me from the Quick Start Guide) and set port forwarding for Web server.DHCP Mine is great especially if you take your laptop tote to and from work. DHCP is a service managed network that allows computers on the network to ask what their IP addresses, gateway, DNS server and subnet mask. DHCP server responds, allowing computers to dynamically configure itself based on what network the computer is turned on. So you can easily carry your laptop in the world of work, connect it to reconfigure the network. Like me, you probably too lazy to set up a UNIX computer on the network only for a DHCP server, so with the Linksys Cable / DSL Router provides DHCP.

0 comments:

Post a Comment